Friday, December 10, 2010

Are you sure you want the schedule!

If you are in retail you need to understand the schedule has its drawbacks. You are not going to work 9-5. The schedule for managers is normally more than 40 hours and and the nights and weekends go into the schedule. When someone calls in sick you will be responsible for getting someone to cover the shift. If you can't get someone else it may be you. What to do in these situations is sometimes difficult. Frustration is tough if you have to stay but you need to understand it has to be done. You see you can do your best to make the customer experience what it should be, or you can go home and enjoy, at the risk of losing customers for the future.

A former head of a company I worked at always said when he viewed customers, the satisfied ones had dollar signs on the foreheads, because they would be back. The dollar signs represented the value of each customer meant to your future sales. The manager is the key, he has to create the environment that promotes great customer service. Customer service is replacing the employee who called in, instead of letting the store be short of help. Unfortunately many managers would just think about saving payroll, that is not bad thinking on a short term basis, but if you do this all the time you need to be careful what happens when customers tell everyone your store is one you can't get waited on.

You need to think about the fact that retail stores are open many hours, they include nights and weekends. I will tell you now, I have found some companies look at the management teams and expect nothing less than 60 hours aweek, remember you will be salaried that means no overtime pay. These companies have come to expect young managers are going to do whatever it takes to get ahead. Not everyone wants to spend their whole life working long hours. If you are one of those young eager-beavers go for it. Just remember a new girlfriend or new bride may not have the same thoughts.  As a general manager I wanted my management team to get their time off, because I felt they would do a better job while they were in the store (and I expected it).

I am not sorry about all of the hours I put in, I was generally well rewarded with promotions, raises and bonus's. Their were things I missed with my daughter, but  I was able to attend most of them. It is important that you understand these demands because your success or failure could hinge on the attitude you have. Most of us will work many years and trust me when I say your company may appreciate you but the fact remains. "They hire you, pay you and at the end of the day they are not your family" I started with one of the largest retailers in country when I graduated from school, after 17 years, I left them and they paid me every thing I had coming. But I was replaced in a matter of days and they moved on. Work at a job you love! Don't waste your time if you can't endure the bad with the good.

I said before I worked in Retail Management for more than 40 years I not try to discourage you, I just want you to go in with your eye's open!

No comments:

Post a Comment