Tuesday, December 21, 2010

It's Almost Over!

Another Christmas season is almost over and I thought I would just give you a few quick thoughts. After forty season's I can honestly say one of the most rewarding days of the year is Christmas eve. In my stores where I had the authority to to it I made certain that we had an in store potluck lunch.

I would pay for the meat, and the remainder of the staff would normally bring in the rest of the goodies. There was a method for my madness. First it brought the team together, second the meal breaks were always difficult to get done and this way most everyone ate at the store. This way you keep more of the staff in the store to better handle the amount of business you are going to do that day. Now this is something the company has to condone, with issues of not paying in for lunch and breaks you have to do what is considered correct by your bosses. But if you have the option do it, this promotes good feelings from your team and when things become difficult your team knows you have done your best.

The Christmas season is always tough, and hectic and stressful, but as I have said in my last post it can be productive in ways that will improve your business in several ways. Remember make your notes and plans during and immediately after the season. You will be glad you did when the next season comes around. Take care of customer service, this is an ongoing part of retail, it is self rewarding in the sense that a good reputation brings continued business and it is virtually free! Pay attention to counter maintenance, if you can do well at this in this time period, there is no excuse for it not to be done the rest of the year. The best managers deal with the issues of the season because they are prepared for it.

When I left my store on Christmas Eve, knowing my team and myself did the best we could, it always made me proud. Retail managers are not necessarily made in college, they gain confidence in college, hopefully they learn to work with people, and learn many things that help with imagination. But actually working in the store they learn what really works on a sales floor, stockroom, or service counter, it is that experience that can really pay off in your career. Don't just go in and do the duty, make notes on all things, keep a record of what worked and what did not. Then follow your own plans, this is the key to success.

To all of you and your families I wish all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment